Saturday, May 19, 2007

Avoid legalism and Speak no evil.

When you hold to a strict view of the Bible, like myself, you hear the words legalism come up often.
What is legalism?
The word legalism is not used in the scripture.
Many believe that it was Martin Luther who first came up with the term.

Therefore legalism has multiple uses. Many times people accuse Bible believing Christians of this to their shame.

However, many times non-believers bring up the word for vain reasons.
Legalism as an empty charge.
1. following the Bible. The idea of following the bible is something God wants us to do. Because the Bible is God's word. If follow it, we follow Him, and God wants us to follow Him. (1John 2:5, Matt. 5:17-20)
2. convicting others of sin
One of the purpose of missions is to help people know that they are in sin, otherwise they would need Jesus to save them. Also we must help beleivers to overocme sin by keeping them accountable. ( Gal. 3:24, Rom.7:7 2Tim. 3:16-17)

Unbiblical legalism
1. works based salvation. The Bible is extremely clear that we have no righteousness of our own. Even people who believe in Jesus can not work their way to heaven. It is only by the righteousness and sacrifice of Christ that we may be saved. (read galatians and Romans). In fact if we try to work our we to heaven Jesus will not save us.

2. Misuse of scripture) legalist either add or take away from the Bible in order to interpret the Bible in such a way that they exalt themsielves. Legalists are ultimately a very proud people.

3. Judging of souls)While as an experienced minister, I may tell you what way of understanding is or is not the gospel of Christ; I can never say who is or is not in sin or who will make it and who will not on the Day of Judegement

4. It is not our job to condemn others. We can rebuke others of sin. We can warn others of the consequences of sin. We can even point to the examples of others who are unrepentant and publicly in sin as examples. Yet it is not our duty to pronounce God's ultimate Judgement upon them. We are not the judge of others. We are going to be judged by God. I know this is a fine line, but it can not be crossed. There is a huge difference between determining the Will of God and setting yourself up as the will of God. Moses was a prophet but he could never ever act on his own. as such we must think before we speak to make sure that it is the Lord's will.



As a result of this we should speak no evil.

Titus 3:1-5 "Put them in mind to be subject to principalities an dpowers, to obey magistrates to be ready to every good work. To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentile, shewing all meekness unto all men. For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobediant,decieved, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man apeared Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the HOly Spirit."


In the Christian walk, one of Satans greatest snares is the temptation to condemn and speak evil of others. Many times many of us are hurt by someone and we want to lash out in anger and many times do. However we must remember that we are also sinners in the hands of God.

We must be able to frogive those who sin against and resist the temptation to speak evil of others.

How can we expect God's blessing and the Holy SPirits strength if we do not give the same forgiveness, kindness and grace that we have recieved?

1john 4 mentions that forgiveness is a necessary evidence of salvation.
We must humble ourselves and close our mouths.
It doesn't matter if they were wrong.
Their guilt is not your problem. Your guilt is your problem!

I am speaking from expereince. There was a church I was once part of. It was good. But soon the pastor and others made mistakes that would cost the ministry. I would eventually have to leave at first I denied the issue. The I realized that they indeed had been guilty. I eventually grew angry and would eventually voice my opinions. But i have come to realize that this was not helping me. Because as I grew bitter I would loose the blessings of God in my Life.
I have also had these issues with others. I have grown bitter, a little proud, angry and have found my self cursed on several occaisions with the feeling of intimacy with God.
I officially admit my sin and recant. Though I am still strict to God's Word. I am not going to ignore it's message to me. will work on having a forgiving spirit and speak evil of others, even if they do harm to me. I have nothing of my own. All is God's and so all my life matters will be attended to by him.
It is fine to rebuke , but we must never tear down.
In Christ,

Matt

6 comments:

Agent Zero said...

(Not ot do with this particular blog - I just decided to find the last one on the list) I personally don't care very much for "country" music, though some music does lull me to sleep. Perhaps we should not listen to the preaching or doctrines of those who are lulling us to sleep?

Agent Zero said...

To note that last one, I wasn't pointing fingers. My apologies...

Agent Zero said...

Just as another topic for a 'blog stream,' do you believe that the first time that God 'spoke,' that it was sound (as we view it today) coming forth from God, or thought. Before you decide, consider this, the only other place that a person (who is made in the likeness of God, might i add) can hear voices (speech and words) other than by sound is in their mind, as thought.

I post this so as to indroduce to you a theory (more of a representation) dealing with the THOUGHT-CHARACTER relationship.

It works similar to positive and negative electric charges: a character can creat a thought, a thought can create a character (or action), but a thought cannot create a thought and a character cannot create a character (directly). This principle works somewhat like electricity in that, for another thought to be sent, the first one must return to the character that created It. (That is to say, when dealing with the human mind, that one thought must return to be realized by the brain that it was thought before another thought can be sent. (Obviously, there are different lines of thinking, but this still holds true given the multiplicity of the brain's (God given) ability to think multiple things at once. I should also mention that it is probably that ability that allows the Holy Spirit to 'speak' to us in our own minds (under an alternate line of thought - I suppose I should have used the words "alternate circuit"). I also hope that nobody sees this and decides to copy it as if it were their own. (ZEK) That's why I am leaving out a part of it so that we might discuss it in person (if you come to the meetings).

Agent Zero said...

pardon my mispellings...

Agent Zero said...

I use this penname (peudonym) in order to hide my identity from those who want to silence alternative alternative voices. #0, I.O.P.T. out-

Pastor Matt Singleton said...

I can't say I endorse country music, but is superior to pop music in that it has a greater variety of instruments. And Country singers to tend be far superior in song writing and better opinionated that what is out there.

The Bible says that God spoke,-not thought.
otherwise reality would be an illusion.
God is not one mind. He is three persons-Father, Son and the Holy Spirit
So they could communicate with each other.
Even the individual persons of God are omniscient
therefore his ways are above our ways.
It is fine to speculate but we should ot let our selves get carried aways. God is a mystery and anything out of his revelation to us is unfounded speculation.
In Christ Matt