Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How shall we defend the faith?

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
I remember the first time I had to defend the gospel I was in High School. I was sitting in Spanish class, when suddenly I heard a conversation behind me start to escalate, a boy ( C) behind me started to go about his evolutionary beliefs when suddenly he exclaimed “God is a B@#$%!” I couldn’t believe it, I couldn’t believe he would say something like that in class. Then he yelled it again “God is a B#^$*!” and he dared anyone to challenge him. The teacher was in the room, but she said absolutely nothing. I look around and no one was going to take him to task; people I had assumed were Christian were so silent that they were in agreement. Some of my Jock friends who could have easily beat him up and could have easily stould up to him were suddenly silent. I had always been afraid to be outspoken about my faith, because I had a bad swearing habit and I couldn’t imagine witnessing to someone who had previously heard me cuss. (Even though they had heard everyone else curse too!) But now the gospel for this classroom was on the line. It was obvious that most had in fact given up on the gospel. But could I be silent and allow this to go on? I couldn’t do it, I may have failed God before, but I couldn’t fail him now. Jesus died on the cross for me and I depend on him for my salvation, how could let him down!!
So I gathered every ounce of moral strength I had and said, “No, he is not…” This ignited C who then began yelling at me at the top of his lungs. Some of the details I have forgotten due to the emotion of the memory. But basically He said evolution was a proven fact, I whimperingly denied it. He ask for proof I looked over at the grass and started talking about dna and what I would later learn was intelligent design. He then overwhelming yelled at me and ended with the moral argument against God. “If God exists, why is there so much evil in the world!?!” I felt like I could have given an answer to it and yet with all the pressure on me, I just couldn’t say anything. I think I remember a few classmates scolding me for arguing with C. He then went to leave a minute later and told me that the reason God allows evil was that he allowed free choices. It was kind of shocking to have an atheist give me my talking points. I would like to think however that he had an ounce of respect for me to stand up to him.
How should we react to challenges to our faith? What would you do if your faith is challenged?
Many of you have already developed personal approaches from experience. Some of you change or modified your faith so that you don’t have to defend the Bible or even faith in Christ. Maybe it is simply something in your heart, which you can hide from all opposition.
However remember the words of Christ.
Mar 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
And…
Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Mat 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
We must remember what we stand for quite frankly the biggest problem in evangelism apologetics church growth, ministry etc. Is that we have in fact forgotten this fact!
In the 10 years since that high school incident I have learn many facts and experiences on how to defend my faith and I would like to take this time to go over a few biblical principles for defending the faith.
1. We possess the truth
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
2. We must argue for all the truth of scripture
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

3. The truth is available!
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

4. The unbeliever is foolish and blinded
Psa 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5. Morality works
Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Isa 1:19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
Isa 1:20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.


6. Sinners hate the truth because it makes them feel guilty
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Joh 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.


7. If they are guilty however it will make them appreciate the cross
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

8. Always take the opportunity to present the gospels of Jesus Christ
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

9. The gospel enables them to have the power of salvation
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

10. Don’t forget to pray!
2Co 1:11 Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.
1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
1Ti 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;



One thing I have notticed in my time of study and practice is that fleshly nature of the christian constantly draws us to be submissive to the ways of the world. Yet we have to remember and believe the facts. Everything in the Bible is absolute truth; Every unbeliever is foolish in their unbelief. We should never lose confidence in our encounters with the world, since our confidence is in Christ. The evidence and reason is always out their somewhere you simply need to find it and be ready to present it. The more sanctified your heart is the better you will be about defending your faith. The real goal in an apologetic encounter is not a battle of wits but a battle of spirits.(demons vrs. Holy Spirit) Therefore do not limit yourself to reason but instead bring in morality spirituality and the consequences of sin against God’s Law. The power of the unbelievers skepticism lies not in the fact that they are objective, but instead in the power of the sin in their heart. The goal of our apologetic and evangelism is not a changed mind but a repentant heart. The unbeliever must be convicted of sin and receive the gospel in order for them to be empowered to accept Christ. So your apologetic will convict while you evangelism presents the gospel. Remember the power of the Old Old story to show people the grace of God through Jesus Christ. Finally never forget to pray God work miracles through obedience of prayer.

In Christ,
Matt

No comments: