Tuesday, August 14, 2007

going home 4 church

As some of you may nottice I have had my profile changed from Rev. to Pastor.
The reason for this is more than liking the title Pastor more than Rev. I was recently elected Pastor of I house church which me and my wife are conducting. We chose to start very small so to focus on dicipleship and be prepared once we start evangelistic outreach. The experience was rather exhilarating. I never realized how much artificial legalism we place in modern/tradition American Church. We are so constrained by time and driven by programming that the idea of fellowship in the church has been crushed. One reason why I wanted the house church model is that our evangelism is many times strangled by other financial burdens. (Building utilities, rent, insurance, taxes employment etc.)
I think older members become trapped in the sin of caring about materialism more than the mission. But young people need to remember that this is also because they are lazy and hardly ever tithe!!
But if their is no burden of a building then the only thing we need to be concerned with is the gospel!!
It was a good time had by all we eveng got to go to a park for a while and eat my wife's turkey sandwhiches.
So now I am studying a book on house churches. It seems good in many ways but I think those of us who are in house churches need to remember that a church is an organized body.
Many strive for freedom so much they forget this. The book I am reading has the flaw of not being congregational.
But I will comment on this more later.
In CHrist,
Matt

No comments: